Ways of connecting with God
- Serve others
- Watch for it around you, with people and situations that arise
- Ask God questions, and listen and watch for the reply
- Spend time in nature
- Treat it like a relationship. Set aside time to be with Him/Her.
- Pray to God – share struggles and concerns, as well as gratitude and blessings
- Listen to God. Listen to answers of concerns, wisdom, love and guidance
- Meditate – Time in silence, acknowledging, accepting and seeing what is
- Find a spiritual small group – to grow and learn from others who are seeking spirituality
- Attend a 12 step meeting. Many are spiritually focused. It is inspiring to see others heal from their addictions/c0-dependencies.
- Spend time in spiritual community – a larger organization with ideas and beliefs like your own
- Listen and sing spiritual songs –
- Journal to God
- Exercise – running, hiking, yoga, etc, are all ways of connecting to your body, as well as to a Spirit higher than yourself.
Key things to remember about spirituality
- God loves me right where I am, not where I think He wants me to be.
- My feelings, are just my feelings. If I don’t feel God, it doesn’t mean he has abandoned me.
- God wants to connect with me, and is less concerned how I do it, and more concerned that I do it.
- I might have consequences, or feel disciplined for my behavior, yet I am not being judged or condemend.
- The actions I take don’t make me worthy or unworthy. Being aligned with my Higher Power gives me a more abundant life, and connects me closer with God and others.
- I always have a choice. I can choose to accept the guidance of a spiritual source, or I can choose to follow my own will or another set of principles. No one makes the choice for me, and I don’t make the choice for others.